This Melted Snowman Ornament came to me one day when I was broke and wanted to gift something special to my boyfriend (now husband). At the time I was in college, working three part-time jobs, living at home just trying to survive. We didn’t have much but each other and sometimes that is all you need. And a little creativity with stuff you have around the house. In a couple of minutes you have a cute, easy, melted snowman ornament. Take it to a gift exchange, put it in stockings, add it to a gift basket or hang it from your tree.
This can be made into a kid friendly craft by swapping out the glass ornament for plastic and the jewelry wire for construction paper. Got some scraps of felt you weren’t sure what to do with? Use it for this craft because you don’t need much.
And there is a beautiful life lesson. You don’t need much to make something special. We hang this melted snowman ornament every year with fond memories of where we once were; then dream about where we will go.
I hope you enjoy this craft as much as we do!
Disclaimer: Affiliate links are used for your convenience. If you make a purchase through my links I may receive a small commission.
Melted Snowman Ornament Materials
- 1 Glass Ornament Ball
- Felt for Hat (1 x 1 inch) and Scarf (8 x 1/4 inch)
- 5 Beads for Eyes and Buttons
- 4 inches Copper Jewelry Wire 18 gauge should do the trick
- Wire Cutters
- 1 tablespoon Sand
- 20 inches of 1/4 inch Ribbon
- Some kind of funnel; I used a curled up piece of paper.
- Find a flat surface to work on. Cut out approximately a 1 inch by 1 inch square from the felt you want to use for the top hat. Notch out about 1/8 of an inch on each side leaving about 1/8 of an inch on the bottom to create a one dimensional top hat.
- Let’s work on the scarf. Cut a 7 inch by 1/4 inch piece of felt. Fold the felt in half and at about one-third of the way down from the folded center tie the felt in a tight knot. Cut the ends of the felt the way you would like the scarf styled. I cut the ends so they were not the same length and made the cut at a 45 degree angle.
- Time to make the “carrot” nose. Using your wire cutters cut about 4 inches of the copper jewelry wire. The jewelry wire is very malleable and it should be very easy to wrap the wire around the coned tip of a pencil to create the carrot nose. Trim off any excess jewelry wire.
Let’s build the melted snowman ornament!
- Pop off the top of the glass ornament ball. Be careful because it is glass but it should slide off easily.
- Place the funnel (or curled up paper) into the top of the glass ornament ball. Pour in about 1 tablespoon of sand.
- Drop the 5 beads into the ornament. Curl up the top hat so it slides into the ornament. Slide the scarf in next and if you need help placing the scarf use a pencil to maneuver it where you want. Pop in the carrot nose and replace the top of the glass ornament.
- Cut about 20 inches of ribbon. Fold the ribbon in half and about half way down make a knot then a bow. Cut off any excess ribbon.
- Slide the looped ribbon through the top of the ornament about half way through. Then slide the looped ribbon under the bow and pull through so the bow is at the base of the ribbon and top of the ornament.
Hang the melted snowman ornament on the tree! Or gift it because you are done! Nice work!
Make it a Kid’s Craft
Want to get the kids involved and make their own melted snowman? Swap a couple things to make it a bit more safe.
- Swap out the glass ornament for a plastic one.
- Instead of copper jewelry wire use construction paper and cut out a carrot nose.
- If beads are a bit too squirrely use buttons. Ones small enough to fit through the ornament top. 😉
What Can Be Composted From This Melted Snowman Ornament Craft?
If your felt is made of organic materials, like wool, you can compost the scraps. Thick heavy pieces of felt don’t compost well but if your pieces are small or thin throw them in there.
Need Some Ideas, Got You Covered!
Holiday Gift Ideas For
Did you enjoy this article? Want to hear more? Keep in touch with our newsletter and receive 7 FREE digital, printable felt flower templates! Craft something beautiful!