We are getting ready to share a cardamom cinnamon roll recipe and thought that we should start with how to make the brown butter cream cheese frosting. Yum! Because this frosting would be amazing on all things that need cream cheese frosting. Level up a carrot cake, spice cake, banana cake, sweet bread, etc… Sounds like I may have some more recipes to test this on!
This is an easy five ingredient recipe which I highly suggest having the brown butter prepped in order to make life just a little easier. However, if it isn’t prepped that is OK you can brown butter in about 10 minutes; check out the How to Brown Butter tutorial.
Use this frosting immediately or store it in the fridge for a week. If you have any extra that you want to save for later, put it in a freezer safe dish and store in the freezer for up to three months.
Disclaimer: Affiliate links are used for your convenience. If you make a purchase through my links I may receive a small commission.
- 1/2 cup brown butter melted
- 1 cup cream cheese
- 1 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
Directions for Brown Butter Cream Cheese Frosting
- Cream together melted brown butter and cream cheese until smooth.
- Check out our How to Brown Butter tutorial.
- Add salt and vanilla; mix together until combined.
- Lastly add in powdered sugar a bit at a time mixing until smooth.
Ta-da! Your brown butter cream cheese frosting is ready for all the goodies you want to bake up. Spread it on our brown butter cardamom cinnamon rolls, carrot cake, pumpkin cookies, spice muffins, anything that adding brown butter cream cheese frosting sounds like it would be a good idea!
Brown Butter Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 Large mixing bowl
- 1 Set of measuring spoons
- 1 Hand held mixer or Stand mixer
- 1 Set of Measuring Cups
- 1 Spatula
- ½ cup brown butter melted Check out our How to Brown Butter tutorial.
- 1 cup cream cheese softened
- 1⅖ cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp salt
- Cream together melted brown butter and cream cheese until smooth.½ cup brown butter melted, 1 cup cream cheese softened
- Add salt and vanilla; mix together until combined.¼ tsp salt, 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Lastly add in powdered sugar a bit at a time mixing until smooth.1⅖ cup powdered sugar
- Brown Butter Cream Cheese Frosting is ready!
Green in the Kitchen
I try my best to be as green as possible in the kitchen using organic ingredients and using tools that can be handed down through the generations and/or are sustainably made. I am always on the lookout for products that support this vision. Though not perfect I still have tools that are not completely in line with this vision; however, I look forward to taking great care of them and using them as long as possible so they stay out of landfills. Once they have reached their end of life I look forward to introducing an eco-friendly version to the home.
I also look forward to sharing with you what can be composted from each dish so less food waste is sent to landfills. If you have an opportunity to use the unused portions of ingredients in another dish all the better but if you don’t have plans for… let’s say, that whole head of lettuce YOU CAN COMPOST IT!
What Can Be Composted From This Dish?
Hmmm… none of these ingredients can be composted so enjoy every last morsel! 🙂
More Sweets Please
Brown Butter Cardamom Cinnamon Rolls
Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
Vegan Chocolate Cashew Butter Cups
Traditional German Horn Cookies
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
Did you enjoy this article? Want to hear more? Stay in touch! Sign up below to receive updates on new posts from Marisa Home.