Here is number five of seven easy DIY felt flower posts; this one I am calling the starburst dahlia felt flower! The starburst dahlia brings a bit of a roughness that is still quite soft. A nice change in texture in the group of felt flowers we have created. You should give them a try! There are a couple tutorials coming up to get your creativity going and I can’t wait to share them!
The How to Make a Felt Flower Birthday Banner and How to Make a Felt Flower Mobile tutorials are up, check them out! Stay tuned for how to make a dreamcatcher with felt flowers! And who knows what else may be dreamed up! What are you getting ready to create?
Have fun crafting!
Disclaimer: Affiliate links are used for your convenience. If you make a purchase through my links I may receive a small commission.
Starburst Dahlia Felt Flower Materials
- 1 1/2 by 12 inch piece of felt; color of your choice for the flower.
- 2 1/2 by 2 1/2 inch piece of felt for leaf; I used the green shade from this pack and used the other colors for more felt flowers
- Glue gun and glue
Find a flat surface to work on. Turn on the hot glue gun so it’s ready to go when you need it.
- Cut the 1 1/2 by 12 inch piece of felt in half lengthwise.
- Cut slits on one side of the felt every 1/8 – 1/4 inch; leaving the bottom 1/8 of an inch intact.
- Start rolling the felt; every so often add dabs of glue to secure the starburst dahlia to the core you are creating.
- Try to keep the bottom as flat as possible.
- Once you have reached the end of rolling your felt dab some glue to make sure it doesn’t unravel.
- At this point you can stop here and have a smaller starburst dahlia or you can repeat steps 2 – 4 with the second half of the flower felt for a larger dahlia.
- Grab the 2 1/2 by 2 1/2 piece of felt and cut in a convex arch from one corner to the opposite corner. Repeat the convex arch back to the original corner. You will now have a simple leaf.
- Load up some hot glue on a corner of the leaf then place the starburst dahlia on top. Once dry you have your starburst dahlia felt flower!
Make just one or as many starburst dahlia felt flowers you like for the craft you are dreaming up!
What Can Be Composted From This Starburst Dahlia Felt Flower Craft?
If your felt is made of organic materials, like wool, you can compost the scraps. Thick heavy pieces of felt don’t compost well but if your pieces are small or thin throw them in there.
Give Me More Felt Flowers!
Check Out These Crafts
Wire Hanger Wreath with Hearts
Did you enjoy this article? Want to hear more? Keep in touch with our newsletter and receive 7 FREE digital, printable felt flower templates! Craft something beautiful!
Comments are closed.